The four teams eliminated from the NFL playoffs over the weekend signed 41 players to reserve/future contracts Monday, including four from Alabama high schools and colleges.
The Jacksonville Jaguars signed three of the players with Alabama football roots – tight end Gerrit Prince (UAB), center Darryl Williams (Bessemer City) and wide receiver Seth Williams (Paul Bryant, Auburn).
· THE ALL-NFL SELECTION INCLUDES 8 WITH ALABAMA FOOTBALL ROOTS
· NEW TITANS GM IS EXCITED TO SEE DERRICK HENRY GROWING UP
· JOSEPH GOODMAN: JALEN HURTS SHOWS THE POWER OF DECISIONS
All three players spent the 2022 season on the Jacksonville practice team.
Darryl Williams was raised for the Oct. 2 game against the Philadelphia Eagles, and in his third NFL season he made his debut with three special teams games.
Neither Prince nor Seth Williams played in the 2022 regular season. Prince was a beginner. Seth Williams caught a pass in two games during his 2021 rookie season with the Denver Broncos.
The New York Giants signed Korey Cunningham (Montevallo) to a reserve/future contract for offensive tackle on Monday.
Cunningham joined the Giants practice team on October 18. On November 24, he played eight offensive snaps as a practice team promotion against the Dallas Cowboys. Cunningham has made 31 games, including six games for the Arizona Cardinals as a rookie in 2018 NFL appearances.
A player who has signed a reserve/future contract may be added to an NFL team’s roster when it expands from 53 to 90 players for the offseason on March 15, the first day of the 2023 NFL fiscal year . The newly signed players are eligible to participate in offseason workouts, minicamps, and OTAs as team members.
Only players not on active NFL rosters can sign reserve/future contracts.
Fourteen players from Alabama high schools and colleges have signed reserve/future contracts since the end of the 2022 regular season. Other players include:
· Guard Deonte Brown (Austin, Alabama) signed with the Carolina Panthers.
· Running back Spencer Brown (Mortimer Jordan, UAB) signed with the Carolina Panthers.
· Safety Shyheim Carter (Alabama) signed with the Tennessee Titans.
· Guard Lester Cotton (Central Tuscaloosa, Alabama) signed with the Miami Dolphins.
· Running back Derrick Gore (Alabama) signed with the New Orleans Saints.
· Linebacker Jeremiah Moon (Hoover) signed with the Baltimore Ravens.
· Defensive lineman LaBryan Ray (James Clemens, Alabama) signed with the New England Patriots.
· Offensive lineman Lahavious Simmons (Selma) signed with the Arizona Cardinals.
· Safety Josh Thomas (Montgomery Academy) signed with the Arizona Cardinals.
· Safety Nolan Turner (Vestavia Hills) signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
FOR MORE OF AL.COMGO TO OUR NFL Coverage NFL PAGE
Mark Inabinett is a sports reporter for the Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter at @AMarkG1.