Mike Tyson sued for alleged rape at a New York nightclub

ALBANY, NY (WTEN) – Mike Tyson’s first boxing match and victory came on March 6, 1985 when he defeated Hector Mercedes in a first round TKO at Albany’s Empire State Plaza Convention Center. Now the world famous fighter will face another form of heavyweight fighting.

According to an affidavit filed by an anonymous victim in Albany County Court, the boxer raped her outside a popular dance club in Albany in the early 1990s — in September. “I met Mike Tyson at a dance club called Septembers in the early 1990s,” the affidavit reads. “My boyfriend and I hung out with him and his limousine driver. Tyson told us about a party and asked us to come along. My friend wanted to drop off her car and Tyson said he would pick her up in the limousine.”

On the way to pick up the victim’s friend, Tyson and the victim got on it, the affidavit said. The victim claims Tyson tried to kiss her in the limousine. She reportedly told him “no” and begged him to stop, but he continued to attack her.

“He then took off my pants and brutally raped me,” the affidavit said. “As a result of Tyson’s rape, I suffered and continue to suffer from physical, psychological and emotional injuries.”

The victim is seeking $5 million in damages for the alleged attack. Her attorney has filed a pledge to keep her identity anonymous for fear she might be publicly scrutinized. “This will be in the news nationwide and the plaintiff’s identity must be protected,” the confirmation said.

The lawsuit was filed earlier this month under New York’s Adult Survivors Act. The law provides for the creation of a “look-back period” for victims of sexual assault and abuse over the age of 18 to bring statute-barred claims in court. Were it not for the act, committed in May 2022, the victim of Mike Tyson’s alleged rape would have been statute-barred by the usual statute of limitations for such crimes.

This isn’t the first time Tyson has been in the hot seat for rape. In February 1992, after a two-week trial that drew national media attention, Tyson was found guilty of the same crime in Indianapolis.

A month later he was sentenced to 10 years in prison, the last four of which were suspended. He was released in March 1995. Tyson has always maintained his innocence in this case.

You can view Albany County’s affidavit below.