New York girl, 15, sentenced to up to 9 years in prison for fatally stabbing cheerleader

A 15-year-old New York girl who fatally stabbed a 16-year-old cheerleader in April has been sentenced to up to nine years in prison.

The teen, who has not been publicly identified because of her age, pleaded guilty to first-degree manslaughter in December in the death of Kayla Green, a student at Mount Vernon High School.

The juvenile suspect was sentenced Tuesday to three to nine years in prison, the Westchester County District Attorney’s Office said.

The April 8 stabbing occurred after a parade was held to honor the Mount Vernon High School boys’ basketball team for winning the state championship.

After the off-campus celebrations, a “brawl” ensued, involving some cheerleaders, Mount Vernon City School’s then-superintendent Kenneth Hamilton, who has since resigned his position, said in an April livestream on the Facebook side of the district.

It is unclear what triggered the brawl. Green and the accused were members of the Supreme All Stars, an independent cheer group, but Green later became a Mount Vernon High School cheerleader, reported LoHud, who covers the Lower Hudson Valley.

The defendant stabbed Green in the stomach on Gramatan Avenue in Mount Vernon, prosecutors said. Green was hospitalized and died from her injuries.

The juvenile suspect was arrested at Dobbs Ferry later that evening.

Another student was injured in the incident but should make a full recovery, police said at the time. An additional charge of assault related to that violation was dropped, prosecutors said.

District Attorney Miriam Roach said in a statement accompanying the sentencing, “A juvenile defendant senselessly took the life of Kayla Green, leaving a devastated community in her wake.”

The defendant will be in the care of the NYS Office of Children and Family Services until she is 18 years old. After that, she will be transferred to the custody of the NYS Department of Corrections and Community Supervision, prosecutors said.

Kayla Green
Kayla Green.WNBC

In court, the accused turned to the family and apologized in tears.

“I wish I could do more than say I’m sorry,” she said, reported NBC New York.

But the apology didn’t go down well with the victim’s family.

“My family is broken and our hearts will never be restored,” Green’s mother, Lavern Green, said outside the courthouse after the sentencing.

“Three years for a murder is nothing. That’s nothing. We need to visit a grave to see my niece,” said the victim’s aunt, Tasania Rhoden. “And in the meantime, there’s a young woman who’s going to be hopping outside in three years.”

Lauren Raysor, the Green family’s attorney, said after the sentencing: “Every party, every system has failed. We had a young lady at school who was wreaking havoc on the Mount Vernon school system.”

“They were fully aware of what this young lady was doing in this school and it was a danger to every young person that was in the school and they were doing nothing,” she said.

NBC News has reached out to an attorney for the juvenile defendant and the school district for comment.