- The Mega Millions jackpot has been won – again.
- A lucky ticket in New York that matched all six numbers to win the $20 million jackpot on Tuesday night.
- Tuesday’s win follows the $1.348 billion Mega Millions jackpot won in Maine on Friday — the second highest prize in the lottery’s history.
After months of not being hit, the Mega Millions jackpot has been won in consecutive draws.
According to the Mega Millions website, a ticket sold in Tuesday’s drawing in New York matched all six numbers to win the $20 million jackpot. Tuesday’s winner can also choose the $10.6 million cash option.
It’s a far cry from the $1.348 billion Mega Millions jackpot won in Maine on Friday.
In addition to the jackpot, a ticket sold in Massachusetts matched all five white balls and had the megaplier to win $3 million.
The jackpot will reset to its current starting value of $20 million for Friday’s drawing.
Meanwhile, according to the Powerball website, the Powerball jackpot is $439 million with a $237.3 million cash option.
Are lottery winnings getting bigger? That’s why the jackpots have gotten so big.
Friday:Nearly $1.35 billion Maine Mega Millions jackpot winning ticket sold
Mega Millions winning numbers: 01/17/23
The winning numbers for Tuesday night’s drawing were 2-12-18-24-39, Mega Ball: 18 and Megaplier was 3X.
When is the next Mega Millions draw?
Mega Millions draws take place every Tuesday and Friday at 23:00
How do I play Mega Millions?
The cost is $2 per ticket, but you can add the Megaplier for $1, increasing the amount of your potential prize to five times the original price (excluding the jackpot).
Each player chooses five numbers from 1 to 70 for the white balls and one number from 1 to 25 for the Mega Ball. You can also have the lottery machine generate a random quick pick.
Prizes vary from $2 for matching the mega ball, to $1 million for matching all five white balls (except in California), to the jackpot for matching all six balls. You can check all prize payouts on the Mega Millions website.
What do you do if you win the lottery? Here’s what you need to know.
You do not have to be a US citizen or resident of any particular state where you are purchasing your ticket.
Where can I play Mega Millions?
You can play the game in 45 states plus the District of Columbia and the US Virgin Islands. The states that do not offer Mega Millions are: Alabama, Alaska, Hawaii, Nevada and Utah.
Many grocery stores, gas stations, and convenience stores sell lottery tickets. Some states allow online purchase of Mega Millions tickets, but beware of fraudulent websites. Contact your state lottery for more information.
What are my chances of winning?
Playing the Mega Millions can be exciting, but just don’t spend those millions before you win.
The odds of winning the jackpot are 302,575,350 to 1.
The odds of hitting all five white balls are 12,607,306 to 1.
What does the cash option of a lottery mean?
The major lotteries in the United States offer two jackpot payout options: annuity and cash.
The annuity option is paid out over time. There is an immediate payment and then 29 annual payments that increase by 5% each year.
How much does the Mega Millions winner get after taxes? The $1.35 billion jackpot is shrinking quite a bit
The cash option is significantly lower than the advertised jackpot, but pays out as a lump sum. You don’t have to wait decades for all the money.
What was the biggest Mega Millions jackpot?
Here are the top 10 jackpots since Mega Millions began in 1996:
- $1.537 billion, October 23, 2018: Won in South Carolina
- $1.348 billion, January 13, 2023: Won in Maine
- $1.337 billion: July 29, 2022: Illinois
- $1.05 billion, January 22, 2021: Won in Michigan
- $656 million, March 30, 2012: Three winners in Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
- $648 million, December 17, 2013: Two winners in California, Georgia
- $543 million, July 24, 2018: Won in California
- $536 million, July 8, 20116: Won in Indiana
- $533 million: March 30, 2018: Won in New Jersey
- $522 million: June 7, 2019: Won in California
What is everyone talking about? Sign up for our trendy newsletter to get the latest news of the day
What was the biggest US lottery jackpot of all time?
Here’s a look at the top jackpots won between the Powerball and Mega Millions lotteries in the United States:
- $2.04 billion, Powerball, November 7, 2022: California
- $1.586 billion, Powerball, January 13, 2016: Three winners in California, Florida, Tennessee
- $1.537 billion, Mega Millions, October 23, 2018: Won in South Carolina
- $1.348 billion, Mega Millions, January 13, 2023: Won in Maine
- $1.337 billion, Mega Millions, July 29, 2022: Illinois
- $1.05 billion, Mega Millions, January 22, 2021: Won in Michigan
- $768.4 million, Powerball, March 27, 2019: Won in Wisconsin
- $758.7 million, Powerball, August 23, 2017: Won in Massachusetts
- $730 million, Powerball, January 20, 2021: Won in Maryland
- $699.8 million, Powerball, October 4, 2021: Won in California